San Jose, CA. – July 25, 2016 – On Friday evening, July 22, 2016, Isabella Jane-Blanca Negrete won the title of California State Teen Ambassadress. Her on-stage talent was a performance of “Not for the Life of Me,” from the Broadway Musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie. The competition finals took place on Thursday & Friday, July 21-22 at the Santa Clara Convention Center.
Isabella is 15 years old and an active student body member. She is currently enrolled in SVHS’s new Math Academy that uses real-life appliances and challenging problems to foster critical thinking skills. She is a member of the school’s band as 1st chair trombone and actively participates in school plays and musicals, most recently appearing in their production of Chicago. She is a member of the Songwriting Club and Drama Club and next year will be the president of SVHS’s first ever Philosophy Club and the new secretary of the Drama Club. In addition, she is currently a member of the Santa Cruz Youth Symphony, 2nd chair.
Community service is important to Isabella. She is on the staff for the school’s yearly community fundraiser, the annual Haunted House, which raised over $12,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society last year. She also volunteers as an Exhibit Guide at the Seymour Marine Lab to promote the conservation of our oceans.
Isabella has achieved numerous honors and awards during her school career. Some of the most recent ones include:
- Chosen as “Student of the Week” for the Scotts Valley High School May 2016
- Winner of the 2016 Outstanding Academic Achievement Award by the Scotts Valley Rotary Club
- Winner of the 2016 Best Female Voice Award by the SVHS Drama Department
- Recipient of the Outstanding Student Award for Baymonte Christian School’s Graduating Class of 2014-2015
- Recipient of 2015 Baymonte’s GPA Award for keeping a 4.0 GPA throughout Middle School
- Recipient of the 2015 Gold Medal History Award for Academic Excellence
- Finalist for the 2015 National NYC Museum of Natural History Young Naturalist Awards Essay Contest